Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Difference between low/high levels of estrogen/testosterone

While I'm completely aware that the two hormones are not the same, I'm curious about what each level does to a woman and when they are balanced. I'm suspecting I have estro. dominance but at the same time I think I may have high testosterone actually. I will order my hormone test soon but I wanted to know if I have high testosterone because I have quite a bit of body hair on nipples and such, high sex drive (throughout my cycle but it's intense during my fertile and luteal stage). I used to workout a lot...but at the same time I had heavy irregular periods,  anxiety, very painful breast near period, headaches and body acne... Not sure! 

Anyone got any ideas?

(16-05-2017, 08:39 AM)Loverandfighter Wrote:  While I'm completely aware that the two hormones are not the same, I'm curious about what each level does to a woman and when they are balanced. I'm suspecting I have estro. dominance but at the same time I think I may have high testosterone actually. I will order my hormone test soon but I wanted to know if I have high testosterone because I have quite a bit of body hair on nipples and such, high sex drive (throughout my cycle but it's intense during my fertile and luteal stage). I used to workout a lot...but at the same time I had heavy irregular periods,  anxiety, very painful breast near period, headaches and body acne... Not sure! 

Anyone got any ideas?

Hey Loverandfighter! 

I wish I knew what to tell you, but the thing is that a lot of symptoms for estrogen dominance and testosterone dominance tend to overlap. You could even be suffering from both. And then too, it could be other issues, such as: PCOS, hirsutism, endometritis, or any number of things  It does, however, sounds like you may have higher than normal testosterone levels but the only real way to be sure is by getting a hormone panel done, which I'm glad you've already signed up for! 

Hope this helps! 

Xoxo

from my research, got something may help.....

ESTROGENS (Estradiol, Estrone, Estriol) Estradiol is the most potent of the three natural estrogens, which also include estrone and estriol. Estrogens play important roles in stimulating regeneration of the reproductive tissues, maintaining healthy bones, increasing the levels of neurotransmitters in the brain, and helping keep the cardiovascular system healthy.

LOW ESTRADIOL in pre-menopausal women is unusual unless they experience an anovulatory cycle (no ovulation) or are supplementing with synthetic estrogens found in birth control pills, which can suppress endogenously (made in the body) production of estrogens by the ovaries. A low estradiol level is much more common in post-menopausal women or in women of any age who have had a hysterectomy and/or their ovaries surgically removed (oophorectomy) and/or those who have not been treated with hormone replacement, sleep disturbances, foggy thinking, vaginal dryness, incontinence, thinning skin, bone loss, and heart palpitations.

HIGH ESTRADIOL in pre-menopausal women is usually caused by excessive production of androgens (testosterone and DHEA) by the ovaries and adrenal glands, which are converted to estrogens by the "aromatase" enzyme found in adipose (fat) tissue, or by estrogen replacement therapy (ERT). When estrogen levels are high in post-menopausal women, this is usually due to insufficient progesterone (either from waning ovarian production at menopause or from estrogen supplementation) necessary to counterbalance the cellular growth-promoting actions of the estrogens. Excess estrogen levels lead to the symptoms of "estrogen dominance," including mood swings, irritability, anxiety, water retention, fibrocystic breasts, weight gain in the hips, bleeding changes (due to overgrowth of the uterine lining and uterine fibroids) and thyroid deficiency. Estradiol, even at normal ranges (1.5 Ð 3 pg/ml), can cause estrogen excess if not balanced by adequate progesterone. Diet, exercise, nutritional supplements, cruciferous vegetable extracts, herbs and foods that are natural aromatase inhibitors (e.g. soy foods), and natural progesterone can help to reduce the estrogen burden naturally.

TESTOSTERONE is an anabolic hormone produced predominately by the ovaries and to a lesser extent in the adrenal glands. It is essential for creating energy, maintaining optimal brain function (memory), regulating the immune system, and building an maintaining the integrity of structural tissues such as skin, muscles, and bone. Pre-menopausal testosterone levels usually fall within the high-normal range and post-menopausal levels at the low-normal range.

LOW TESTOSTERONE is most commonly caused by aging, hysterectomy and /or removal of the ovaries (oophorectomy), suppression of ovarian production by stress hormones (cortisol), use of contraceptives and synthetic HRT, and/or damage to the ovaries and adrenal glands by trauma, chemo, or radiation therapies. Chronically low/low normal salivary testosterone (20/23 pg/ml) can cause loss of bone and/or muscle mass, thinning skin, vaginal dryness, low libido, incontinence, lack of energy, aches and pains, depression, and cognitive dysfunction-memory lapses.

HIGH TESTOSTERONE is usually the result of excessive production of the ovaries and adrenal glands or supplementation with androgens (testosterone, DHEA). Slightly elevated testosterone (range 50-60 pg/ml) is often seen in women as they transition into menopause. High testosterone in both pre-menopausal and post-menopausal woman is associated with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), which in turn is caused by insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome (re: http://www.pcosupport.org(link is external)). Symptoms include loss of scalp hair, increased body, and facial hair, cane, and oily skin. Supplementation with topical testosterone at doses in excess of levels produced by the ovaries (0.2-1 mg) can raise testosterone to levels beyond physiological range (>50 pg/ml). Hypersensitivity to testosterone can cause side effects and above symptoms.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon