Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Anti-androgens

I feel like I have too much testosterone in my body, mostly because of my excess body hair. I'm currently taking cyproterone acetate through birth control pills, and while I feel like it's helped give me overall more feminine features (but maybe that's also due to ethinyl estradiol in it), I feel like it's helped a little bit with my body hair but I still feel like I'm too hairy. Maybe the amount of body hair I have is just due to genetics, but even if that is the case is it still possible to reduce it through anti-androgens? I'm also considering beginning on bovine ovary soon, and as ovaries produce a small amount of testosterone, I want to lower my testosterone levels as much as possible (of course not too much, I don't want to be too excess in any hormones but I still want to be as feminine as possible). 

Have any of you had experience with spearmint as anti-androgen? How did you take it, for how long and which effects did you notice? I know it's been scientifically proven that spearmint can reduce androgens in females when ingested as tea, but I don't know if I can be bothered to drink spearmint tea every day. You can also take spearmint pills or take spearmint essential oil, I read that 2 drops of spearmint essential oil is equivalent to 20+ cups of spearmint tea, is that true? 

Spearmint seems to me to be the most promising anti-androgen (or maybe it's just the one I hear the most about), but which other anti-androgens options are there? I know there's red reishi and licorice root, but I'm worried about licorice root raising my blood pressure especially since I'm already taking birth control pills. I also haven't found too much information about red reishi, so I'm not sure how effective it is. Which anti-androgens have you tried and which worked really good?

Besides anti-androgens, I know there's herbs that help with just balancing in your hormones in general, so they should lower your testosterone too if you have too much of them? Have any of you had experience with those?

I hope it's not too much questions and that you are able to at least just answer some of them, it would mean the world to me. Thanks in advance  Big Grin Big Grin

(13-08-2017, 01:29 AM)honeydew Wrote:  I feel like I have too much testosterone in my body, mostly because of my excess body hair. I'm currently taking cyproterone acetate through birth control pills, and while I feel like it's helped give me overall more feminine features (but maybe that's also due to ethinyl estradiol in it), I feel like it's helped a little bit with my body hair but I still feel like I'm too hairy. Maybe the amount of body hair I have is just due to genetics, but even if that is the case is it still possible to reduce it through anti-androgens? I'm also considering beginning on bovine ovary soon, and as ovaries produce a small amount of testosterone, I want to lower my testosterone levels as much as possible (of course not too much, I don't want to be too excess in any hormones but I still want to be as feminine as possible). 

Have any of you had experience with spearmint as anti-androgen? How did you take it, for how long and which effects did you notice? I know it's been scientifically proven that spearmint can reduce androgens in females when ingested as tea, but I don't know if I can be bothered to drink spearmint tea every day. You can also take spearmint pills or take spearmint essential oil, I read that 2 drops of spearmint essential oil is equivalent to 20+ cups of spearmint tea, is that true? 

Spearmint seems to me to be the most promising anti-androgen (or maybe it's just the one I hear the most about), but which other anti-androgens options are there? I know there's red reishi and licorice root, but I'm worried about licorice root raising my blood pressure especially since I'm already taking birth control pills. I also haven't found too much information about red reishi, so I'm not sure how effective it is. Which anti-androgens have you tried and which worked really good?

Besides anti-androgens, I know there's herbs that help with just balancing in your hormones in general, so they should lower your testosterone too if you have too much of them? Have any of you had experience with those?

I hope it's not too much questions and that you are able to at least just answer some of them, it would mean the world to me. Thanks in advance  Big Grin Big Grin

Hi Honeydew!

My knowledge is limited as I'm still learning about all this myself. But I've been hanging around long enough to know that spearmint is a common choice for reducing excess testosterone. I think it does work well for lots of ladies if they experience no problems with it. You can get capsules but it can be hard to find. The only brand I can seem to locate is Swanson. I don't know about using essential oils internally though.. usually that's discouraged because they can be toxic if they're not a certain grade and then even if they are therapeutic grade, I still don't think I would trust them for internal use. Two cups of the spearmint tea per day seems to be the most researched dosage.

I have also seen several high recommendations for astaxanthin (a seaweed derived antioxidant). That one is worth researching, although you probably wouldn't want to take it if you had LOW blood pressure like me (as it can possibly lower it even more). Actually I think astaxanthin can lower androgens too much in some cases. So you might not need as much as you think. Smile

Red reishi is also very effective from what I hear but again, it does tend to lower blood pressure in some people, although it sounds like maybe you would do fine with that if your BP tends to be higher.. There are some other members like me on here who are continually scouting for something to "take care of" androgens without causing other issues, lol!  I'm currently looking at pumpkin seed oil since another member (Bettie32) told me about it. It seems to work well for reducing DHT in particular. Maybe you'd like to research that one as well.

Hope some of that helps you!! And welcome to the club! Big Grin

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

(13-08-2017, 05:50 PM)NaturalLady31 Wrote:  
(13-08-2017, 01:29 AM)honeydew Wrote:  I feel like I have too much testosterone in my body, mostly because of my excess body hair. I'm currently taking cyproterone acetate through birth control pills, and while I feel like it's helped give me overall more feminine features (but maybe that's also due to ethinyl estradiol in it), I feel like it's helped a little bit with my body hair but I still feel like I'm too hairy. Maybe the amount of body hair I have is just due to genetics, but even if that is the case is it still possible to reduce it through anti-androgens? I'm also considering beginning on bovine ovary soon, and as ovaries produce a small amount of testosterone, I want to lower my testosterone levels as much as possible (of course not too much, I don't want to be too excess in any hormones but I still want to be as feminine as possible). 

Hi Honeydew!

My knowledge is limited as I'm still learning about all this myself. But I've been hanging around long enough to know that spearmint is a common choice for reducing excess testosterone. I think it does work well for lots of ladies if they experience no problems with it. You can get capsules but it can be hard to find. The only brand I can seem to locate is Swanson. I don't know about using essential oils internally though.. usually that's discouraged because they can be toxic if they're not a certain grade and then even if they are therapeutic grade, I still don't think I would trust them for internal use. Two cups of the spearmint tea per day seems to be the most researched dosage.

I have also seen several high recommendations for astaxanthin (a seaweed derived antioxidant). That one is worth researching, although you probably wouldn't want to take it if you had LOW blood pressure like me (as it can possibly lower it even more). Actually I think astaxanthin can lower androgens too much in some cases. So you might not need as much as you think. Smile

Red reishi is also very effective from what I hear but again, it does tend to lower blood pressure in some people, although it sounds like maybe you would do fine with that if your BP tends to be higher.. There are some other members like me on here who are continually scouting for something to "take care of" androgens without causing other issues, lol!  I'm currently looking at pumpkin seed oil since another member (Bettie32) told me about it. It seems to work well for reducing DHT in particular. Maybe you'd like to research that one as well.

Hope some of that helps you!! And welcome to the club! Big Grin

Save

Oh yeah, I didn't think about ingesting essential oils being toxic. I guess the best option would be capsules or drinking tea then, but now those other options you mentioned seem much more interesting than spearmint! I knew astaxanthin had a lot of other health benefits, so I'm surprised to hear it's such a powerful anti-androgen. 

Pumpkin seed oil sounds like an interesting option as well. I'm wondering if it works like an anti-androgen because of the hormone-balancing effects of the omega 3 and 6 in it. I was considering ingesting hemp oil for this purpose, as I've read hemp oil has the perfect omega 3 and 6 ratio. I've also read that a lot of women use evening primrose oil to get rid of acne, so maybe it works as anti-androgen as well? Some women have also experienced getting bigger boobs from evening primrose oil.

Thank you so much for your helpful answer!  Big Grin Big Grin

Hi HoneyDew and NaturalLady!

Yes, I think pumpkin seed oil is something we should definitely consider. I will start taking it when I find a good brand! Would be great if the 3 of us start taking it at the same time  Smile

Hmmm, I never thought of hemp oil. As for EPO, I remember Lotus mentioning that it's a pro-aromatase on the forum and yes, I also noticed that several women have grown from taking it. It seems they took very high doses though....we need to make sure we get our omega 3s too but I see you already know that :-)

If you feel like you have too much testosterone HoneyDew, there's also white peony which is a pro-aromatase so it'll convert T into E. I started a thread recently about it. I wish there were more reviews about it but it does sound very promising!

(13-08-2017, 07:38 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  Hi HoneyDew and NaturalLady!

Yes, I think pumpkin seed oil is something we should definitely consider. I will start taking it when I find a good brand! Would be great if the 3 of us start taking it at the same time  Smile

Hmmm, I never thought of hemp oil. As for EPO, I remember Lotus mentioning that it's a pro-aromatase on the forum and yes, I also noticed that several women have grown from taking it. It seems they took very high doses though....we need to make sure we get our omega 3s too but I see you already know that :-)

If you feel like you have too much testosterone HoneyDew, there's also white peony which is a pro-aromatase so it'll convert T into E. I started a thread recently about it. I wish there were more reviews about it but it does sound very promising!

Hey Bettie! Yeah, it would definitely be a cool experiment if all 3 of us took pumpkin seed oil. iHerb seems to carry a lot of different brands. What exactly makes pumpkin seed oil an anti-androgen though?  Big Grin

And oh wow, pro-aromatases sound like a great idea. I was wondering about taking astaxanthin and spearmint for example, as they inhibit DHT which I've heard that when you lower your DHT it raises your testosterone. I looked in your thread about white peony and it seems like you had to take a certain species of it, but I'm not sure where you can find it? And how should you take white peony? But I would be interested in trying it  Smile

Thanks for being so helpful!

(13-08-2017, 08:35 PM)honeydew Wrote:  Hey Bettie! Yeah, it would definitely be a cool experiment if all 3 of us took pumpkin seed oil. iHerb seems to carry a lot of different brands. What exactly makes pumpkin seed oil an anti-androgen though?  Big Grin

And oh wow, pro-aromatases sound like a great idea. I was wondering about taking astaxanthin and spearmint for example, as they inhibit DHT which I've heard that when you lower your DHT it raises your testosterone. I looked in your thread about white peony and it seems like you had to take a certain species of it, but I'm not sure where you can find it? And how should you take white peony? But I would be interested in trying it  Smile

Hi there HoneyDew,
 You're welcome! I'm going to start a thread about pumpkin seed oil because I would also like to know why/how it lowers DHT.

RE: white peony, make sure you get Paeonia Lactiflora (Bai Shao Yao), not regular white peony/white tea or bai mudan. This is the one many of us on here are interested in: https://www.hawaiipharm.com/whitepeony-nonalc-extract As for the dosage, I really don't know but that site says "20-30 drops, three times a day or as directed by your practitioner". 

(15-08-2017, 03:45 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  
(13-08-2017, 08:35 PM)honeydew Wrote:  Hey Bettie! Yeah, it would definitely be a cool experiment if all 3 of us took pumpkin seed oil. iHerb seems to carry a lot of different brands. What exactly makes pumpkin seed oil an anti-androgen though?  Big Grin

Hi there HoneyDew,
 You're welcome! I'm going to start a thread about pumpkin seed oil because I would also like to know why/how it lowers DHT.

RE: white peony, make sure you get Paeonia Lactiflora (Bai Shao Yao), not regular white peony/white tea or bai mudan. This is the one many of us on here are interested in: https://www.hawaiipharm.com/whitepeony-nonalc-extract As for the dosage, I really don't know but that site says "20-30 drops, three times a day or as directed by your practitioner". 

Thank you for linking me to the white peony extract, I definitely want to try it out when I begin my NBE regimen!  Big Grin Big Grin

(15-08-2017, 05:37 PM)honeydew Wrote:  Thank you for linking me to the white peony extract, I definitely want to try it out when I begin my NBE regimen!  Big Grin Big Grin

You're welcome! Let us know when/if you start taking WP! Have you decided what you're going to take for your NBE plan?

(15-08-2017, 03:45 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  

Hi there HoneyDew,

Honeydew, in case you are interested in white peony in capsule form, I also just emailed this Life Extension company https://www.iherb.com/pr/Life-Extension-...s/55657and asked them if their peony is paeonia lactiflora or Bai Shao Yao (what a tongue twister Rolleyes ), and here's what they said in the response, "The white peony that is used for the Peony Immune product is Paeonia lactiflora. " So, that's another good option too I guess! Bettie32, I think you wanted to know about this company too. Smile

Honeydew, you also make a good point about lowering DHT and increasing T. I took saw palmetto for a little while last year (which did in fact lower my DHT because my skin looked much better), but I had a hormone test and noticed that my FREE testosterone was higher. So maybe it's good to take something that lowers DHT (i.e. pumpkin seed oil) along with an aromatase like white peony.
[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

(15-08-2017, 09:35 PM)bettie32 Wrote:  
(15-08-2017, 05:37 PM)honeydew Wrote:  Thank you for linking me to the white peony extract, I definitely want to try it out when I begin my NBE regimen!  Big Grin Big Grin

You're welcome! Let us know when/if you start taking WP! Have you decided what you're going to take for your NBE plan?

I definitely will! So far I have decided on bovine ovary, pituitary gland, maca root, and now white peony, I decided before I wanted to do evening primrose oil possibly but now I'm considering pumpkin seed oil instead.  Big Grin

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon