Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hormone Testing

I know this Q may have been asked before, but I haven't found a clear answer for it yet...

Does anybody have experience with the saliva hormone tests? I don't have health insurance and the blood tests at clinics are too expensive ($60+ per hormone, on top of the $150 office visit, which would amount to about $400), so I'm considering ordering one of the kits online, or sending in a saliva sample.

I don't have any major symptoms, but still suspect that I MAY have a slight estrogen excess or dominance, or possibly low adrenal function. The saliva tests seem like a good option, if they're accurate.

Any comments? Advice??

hi ! If the blood test is too expensive ,you should purchase saliva test ,waxingmoon said the saliva test even more accurate than the blood test .

Hey Izumi!

I took a saliva hormone test back in March. I got the kit from salivatesting.com. I guess the service was okay, but I wish their results were a little more detailed.

According to the the results I got from them, they said my symptoms were "consistent with estrogen dominance."

I went to my doctor to see what I should do about this, and she told me that saliva hormone tests were complete nonsense and untrustworthy. So she told me to get my hormones tested through blood and my results from came out "normal" (in other words, balanced). I also got a pelvic ultrasound.

Anyway, I know that there's a lot of controversy going on about whether saliva testing is more accurate than blood testing and vice versa, but that's my experience. I really can't give you a personal opinion, because I've never gone to medical school. Tongue

But I'm choosing to believe my doctor.

Edit: My doctor also told me that even if the results I got from the saliva testing lab were trustworthy, my results weren't very alarming even according to their own numbers. So basically she told me not to worry.

Guess my hormones and thyroid are normal. Got blood tests done at dr. So my self diagnosed estrogen dominence was probably from rapid weight loss...thinking og going the glandular route now.

i went to the ginecologist, and she ordered some hormone testing, like:Tsh, T4,FSH,prolactin and estradiol, i know theres another hormone down there but i cant remember.

EDIT: i forgot to mention the LH hormone, and that estradiol is basically estrogen,Prolactin is about milk production, she said my mamary glands felt a little to big for my breast size, and i believe TSH, T4, and specially FSH, are tyroid related, and the reason of the testing is because we want to find out why i have severe period cramps, and depending if everything comes out right or not, she´ll know what kind of treatment i´ll need.

I have the hope that if my hormones are not balanced(but i still hope they are), that the threatment can help my boob growth Sad

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon