Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

[archive] do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery?

do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery?
September 6 2007 at 6:11 AM Black Sheep  (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anesthesia scares me...that's honestly the one thing stopping me from breast implants. Do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? I mean, women have c sections and they are not "sleeping", they are awake...can you do the same for implants? Or do you have to be 100% knocked out?

Author Reply
Kate
(no login) Re: do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? September 7 2007, 8:58 AM 

General anaesthetic is the norm for breast implants. Most surgeons will use general anaesthetic during the surgery, but some surgeons will use a sedative and a local anaesthetic. It can depend on how the implants are being inserted.

Edit Message  Delete Message   

Black Sheep
(no login) Re: do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? September 18 2007, 8:47 PM 

No, you don't. I know several people that were wide awake, and others that only had twilight sedation.

Priya
(no login) Re: do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? September 19 2007, 10:49 AM 

Wide awake? Whilst breast implants were being put in? How awful if this is really true.

Nicky
(no login) Re: do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? November 8 2007, 8:36 AM 

I don't see how someone having breast implants inserted could be left wide awake through the procedure.

Sharon
(no login) Re: do you have to be completely knocked out for surgery? February 19 2008, 7:26 AM 

You could go for something like macrolane if you worried about anasthetic. All they do is numb you up a little bit, just like when you go to the dentist and have a filling. Macrolane is very expensive though.

Odd question...is it common to die during surgery?
September 9 2007 at 11:24 PM Black Sheep (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mean, are there any websites with stats on how many women go in for breast implants, and how many have died in the process. It's something I really consider, obviously, when thinking about surgery. I don't want to die!! How often do people die during surgery, and is it because they're going through a risky surgery...or is it because of the anesthetic? Or what?

Author Reply

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 10 2007, 9:45 AM

I don't know about deaths due to complications from surgery, but I can give you a figure for general anaesthetic. The mortality rate for general anaesthesia is about 5 deaths per million anaesthetised people.

Edit Message Delete Message

Black Sheep
(no login) Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 11 2007, 6:11 AM

Wow, that's not very many...and I've heard that deaths are rarely due JUST to anesthesia..it's because of many serious complications put together..or the person had seizures and stuff like that.

Jennelle
(Login Jenneelle)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 11 2007, 10:38 AM

The figure I quoted is purely for deaths which are just due to anesthesia. It doesn't take into account any other complications or bad reactions which may occur during surgery.

Black Sheep
(no login) Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 11 2007, 10:00 PM

Is there a way to get tested to see if anesthesia would react badly with my body? Or is it like...I'd have to go into surgery and get anesthesia not knowing?

Kaz
(no login) Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 12 2007, 7:07 PM

Deaths from anaesthesia are not always caused by the body reacting badly to the anaesthetic. It can be because a mistake was made and you got too much or the airway wasn't managed properly or because of equipment failure. But it could be because you're allergic to the anaesthesia and reacted to it or maybe you have a rare genetic condition and can't tolerate it. I think human error by the staff or your own allergy reaction are the two most common causes.

Black Sheep
(no login) Re: Odd question...is it common to die during surgery? September 18 2007, 8:46 PM

Deaths resulting from cosmetic surgery come in at about 1 in 47,000.

Pain after surgery....
September 26 2007 at 6:30 PM shoelova (Login shoelova)

Hiya. Im considering giving in and having a boob job done if the pueraria mirifica im taking now doesnt work for me.

However, there is one thing putting me off, and that is the thought of pain! I was just wondering how much pain there actually is after surgery, both straight after it, and for a while afterwards...I know its bound to hurt, but i was wondering how much, on a scale of 1-10 in your opnion, and how long does it last...I have a really low pain threshold, but im getting that desperate to have bigger boobs, that i really think id suffer to get the boobs i want!

Thanks in advance
love shoelova xxx

Author Reply
Anne
(no login) Re: Pain after surgery.... September 27 2007, 4:16 PM

Nobody can give you an exact answer, because the pain is not the same for everyone. It depends on whether the implants are under the muscle or over the muscle, for example. The pain is relieved anyway by giving you pain killing medications, especially in the first 48 hours after the op has been done.

Sally Anne
(Login sally.anne)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Pain after surgery.... September 29 2007, 6:23 PM

People's perception of pain is different. One person's 5 out of 10 pain wouldn't be the same pain level as someone else's. Besides as was stated above you are given painkillers anyway, so you shouldn't feel that much.

Black Sheep
(no login) Re: Pain after surgery.... October 5 2007, 5:56 AM

You have to expect some discomfort.
I doubt you'll be sitting there truly in severe pain...because you will be on medications to ease the pain...you probably won't feel too much.
If you didn't take your medication, you would probably feel pain for sure...but I think it would be more of a pressure. I've heard people describe it as a very tight feeling...or...feels like something really heavy is laying on your chest.
I'd say it's more discomfort then pain.
But...the discomfort I think...would be worth it.

Reem
(no login) pain after surgery October 6 2007, 5:03 PM

hi....

first sorry about my english am not that good.
i want to know from where u got pueraria mirifica?
and how long u been using it?
i live in NYC and i have the same problem like you, so let me know whats new with you. and i have the same story as you, so may be am going to do like you.
and have u hear about celution system?

thank you
Reem

Frisky Sheep
(no login) Re: Pain after surgery.... October 8 2007, 9:12 AM

Painkillers will take care of it. Nobody needs to be concerned about potential pain.

dee
(no login) can i smoke prior to breast enlargement July 9 2006, 1:41 PM

please if you can tell me i want to do the surgery but i am a smoker how risky is it can i take antibiotic to prevent infection.

LaurieAnn20
(Login LaurieAnn20) Very Risky October 23 2006, 5:17 PM

If you're a smoker many complications can arise from the anesthesia. A good surgeon won’t even operate on a smoker. You must quit several weeks before surgery, it is in your best interest. I really hope this helps you, good luck with everything! : - )

is it safe
July 9 2006 at 1:39 PM dee (no login)

can a women smoke before and after breast enlargement how unsafe is it and can i take antibiotics to prevent infection.

Author Reply
Anonymous
(Login Nicola88) Nicola November 3 2006, 2:54 PM

Hi,

I have been considering a boob job for as long as I can remember and have read a lot about them. It is not advised to smoke before or after surgery, I think this is because of increased risks of infection and blood clots etc... I used to smoke but I have decided that I would only ever have a boob job if I quit especially because the implants make cancerous lumps harder to detect.
I don't think you should prescribe yourself antibiotics but if your surgeon tells you to take them then do.

Hope this helps.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon