Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Help, bad reaction to protein powder!!!

Question 

Hi all, I'm a new member but I've been visiting these forums for about a month. Smile I have been on BB for a little over 5 weeks (with some growth already! Big Grin), and I had used the Body Fortress brand of whey protein I got from Wal-Mart for the first 4 weeks.

However, last week I started using the Whey Power Plus protein that BB sells, the chocolate one; and immediately I noticed it smelled weird; like I don't know, a cleanser, or something just "off." Tasted like the smell: nasty. And I didn't feel well afterwards. Each day I felt progressively worse (lack of appetite, nausea, abdominal pain) and it would occur within half an hour of drinking it, and last about 4 to 5 hours. I thought maybe I could have gotten lactose intolerant, since many of my family members are; so last night I took 2 Lactaid tablets with my drink; and within 10 minutes I got so severely BAD I darn near went to the hospital. I was vomiting (several times), cramping, diarrhea, my abdomen was very bloated and tender, and it just HURT so bad. Lasted about 8 hours really bad. And I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary before all this started. Since it occurred almost immediately after drinking the protein powder, each time, I can only attribute it to the powder. BTW, I mix it with my filtered reverse osmosis water, not milk. Tastes gross, but oh well.

I do remember being a little "suspicious" of the container when it arrived, cuz even though the plastic seal around the lid was intact, the foam inner seal was basically not even glued down (it totally came off just from unscrewing the lid), and there was NO plastic scoop in the container at all (and I searched it thoroughly). I don't know if this is how they usually are, cuz this was my first one.

Has anyone else had such a reaction to the Whey Power Plus, in chocolate? Huh I'm still feeling unwell now (slight nausea, cramping, a little weakness). I'm seriously bummed about this, cuz now I gotta take a few days off my program just to let my body heal. Sad

Thanks for any replies or insight you all might have! This site has given me more hope and encouragement than you can know. Smile

It does seem like the protein powder that caused it! I'm sorry I can't say much to help but I do know when I opened my Optimum Nutrition protein powder (very popular brand among) the white inner seal lifted off with the cap when I unscrewed it... I phoned the supplements store and they informed me that's common, and it's still safe. Smile Hope you get better soon!

Hi twister_mama, i have used the same protein powder as you and mine was the same hun, i cannot remember it smelling that bad though, you have defoe had a reaction so i would suggest buying another brand and trying that and see how that effects you. You might actually have a bad batch from BB, i have also heard somewhere that different flavourings can effect people different and some can make people sick so try another flavour honey. If you still feel really bad after trying anpother brand then i suggest a visit to the Doctors and get it checked out, remember your health comes first hun.Heart
Hope this helps a little.
Hugs Cheryl xxxx

Hi,

You don't sound like you are having a bad allergic reaction but you sounded like you are having food poisoning. I would suggest you to check on the expiry date. As you know whey protein are milk/cheese products, if it already expired it will smell like rotten milk and it can intoxicate your body.

If it makes you ill I would strongly advice you to stop taking it. Don't gamble with your health it will only make it worst.

I am on BB pills but I am taking NOW brand's whey protein isolate. It doesn't smell or even tasted bad.

I wish you well!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your insight. I had other medicines in the past that when I first opened it, the inner seal came right off just from unscrewing the lid and I had no problems with the medicine; so I guess I was just trying to figure out why this Whey Power Plus stuff was so rancid? Huh But you're right; while I was very, very sick it totally felt like food poisoning. I checked the expiration date, and it says 6/2012. But given the really icky smell, and how sick I got, obviously it's not "good" anymore, for whatever reason. I entertained the possibility that maybe I just suddenly developed a severe allergy to milk, as opposed to just lactose intolerance; but that theory was shot to heck when I was able to have a whole serving of cottage cheese last night with NO problem.

I'm still feeling unwell (slight nausea, stomach pains, cramping), but if I get brave enough later, I will try my old brand of whey protein again (but just a little bit!). If that goes down fine, then I will definitely be contacting Avalon Essentials (BB) about getting a refund for that Whey Power Plus. It cost me $75 and it made me so dang ill; I'm not paying for that!!! :angel:

Thanks again you guys. I hope I can get back on my program really soon, cuz it was actually WORKING for me, in the 5 short weeks I've been on it! Although if it turns out I just can't do ANY protein powder, I'll just have to eat as much protein-rich foods as possible, and look into getting the NB system since so many of you have had such great results with it (hey, at least THAT shouldn't make me sick!). Smile

I'm glad you are going to contact them. Hopefuly they will send you another one.

Mel

Well I got brave last night and tried a half scoop of my old protein powder mixed with water (just a few sips at a time, wait 10 minutes, few more sips, and so on), and I had NO problem at all! Big Grin So there is definitely something wrong with my Whey Power Plus.

I was considering having it tested, to see exactly what is "wrong" with it. If nothing unusual shows up, then I can only assume it's a flavoring or some other additive that I reacted so badly to. I just have this "need" to know, cuz it made me SOOO darn sick. I was actually kinda fearing for my life, I had never been THAT sick before (and I've certainly had my share of flu viruses, surgeries, etc.). Even today I'm still not totally well yet. Sad But, on the plus side, I lost about 3 pounds from that awful day of being sick; and my little bit of "growth" from BB didn't disappear. Smile

Crystalelle, are you using the unflavored NOW whey protein isolate? I actually have that in my shopping cart on Swanson's website right now (I've placed three orders from them in the last month!), and I'm just sick of being grossed out by these "chocolate" flavored ones that are just nasty. Does it mix well with things like iced tea and fruit juice?

Thanks again everyone! Heart

I have used the vanilla flavored and the non-flavored ones. It taste alright for me. No problem at all.

Every morning I will blend 3 types of fruits in the blender, when all has turned into juice then I pour in the powder and mix it with a spoon. It melt easily. I don't blend it together cause it turn light and foamy and when I drink it a lot of air went into my tummy and cause me bloated. The other method don't make me bloat at all.

I ordered mine from bodybuilding.com initially but swansonvitamins.com offer a cheaper price then them.

I hope you will getting better.

Thank you! I will be ordering that tonight then. Your smoothie drinks sound yummy! Smile I may have to give that a try when the protein powder arrives.

wow, that's awful that you had such a bad reaction! I'm glad you are okay now... I took NOW brand protein isolate the non-flavored kind and I use to be creative with it. I would mix it in fruit juice, in smoothies, I baked it in brownies, I put it in soups, spaghetti sauce, you name it. The only time you taste it at all is in light flavored drinks like water, or lemon water, those kinds of things. I never tried it in tea. I got mine from amazon.com

hope you have better luck with the NOW brand! And yes I would advise getting the bad protein powder tested and see what exactly in it you are having a reaction to so that you can avoid that.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon