Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bovine Ovary and breastfeeding/breast milk?

I am a mother of 3 boys Smile 7, 3 and 8 months. I nursed my son for 8 months, with the help of supplement feeding because my body couldn't keep up with his demand. I was prescribed Domperidone to help in the production department, but even with taking 8 pills a day I would maybe produce 2 oz. feeings from each breast after his feedings I was comletely empty, my breasts felt like lumps of skin attached to my body. It has been incredibly hard to keep up with the supply that he needed, so I decided to wean him slowly. I would offer him a morning feeding (I had the most milk) and before his bedtime. It had been two days I had not produced any milk, my breasts were back to my usual post nursing AA.
I had done a lot of research on natural breast enlargement, or ways to regeuvenate tissue in the breast and came across these forums and decided to give bovine ovary a try. I bought a 90 tablet bottle, Bovine Ovary 96mg and am supposed to take 3 a day.
It has been 48 hrs since I have nursed my son last, with no milk production happening in my breasts and 24 hrs since I started taking the extract. My milk suppy has returned and more than I have experience in 3 years even with the Domperidone. My breasts were engorged today and I was in awe!
I am overly thrilled about this and would like to know if it is safe to nurse and use bovine extract? Can it be passed onto him through his feedings? Has there been studies about it producing breast milk or used to increase milk production?
Any information will be greatly helpful, thanks you!

Wow! Who would have thought! I too was prescribed Domperidone when nursing my son, it helped but there wasn't a dramatic difference. I'm not sure if there would be an issue or not. I know when you breastfeed they give you the mini pill / progesterone only because the regular pill contains estrogen too and isn't good for the baby. I've heard that BO is progesterone based, however I'm not sure how that's possible. I would just be safe and call your doctor first! If it is ok to breastfeed while on BO that could be great news to alot of nursing mommies out there! Good Luck!!

Hi hun, I'm not sure if BO is safe while nursing or not. I have heard that Fenugreek can help while nursing, though I didn't try it myself while nursing as I was worried about the same things you are worried about with the BO. But you starting to produce milk again is the reason why I tell people to wait 6 months after they have dried up from nursing to start a NBE program because it can start you producing milk again. I have heard from wet nurses that fenugreek helps them to keep producing and is safe for babies. So if a NBE herb like that is safe, maybe BO is also. Also I started the pill when I was able to after giving birth and they say birth control doesn't hurt the baby while breastfeeding, or that's what my dr said. So if BC wouldn't hurt, not seeing why BO wouldn't. How long are you planning to nurse him? Just if you find out that BO is safe to take while nursing whenever you are ready to stop nursing then go on a NBE program, like I said, make sure you are dried up completely then wait 6 months or so to start. I waited a year after I was done breastfeeding. Hope you can find out if it's safe for the baby, that would be interesting to know. But I would get multiple opinions as some dr's don't believe in natural medicines and BO is a natural medicine. Good luck!

hi, I was on these boards for a while a year back and stopped because well I ended up pregnant! I am currently 34 1/2 weeks, and I too had supply issues with my first and had to supplement. With all my researching, my mind always comes back to the possibility that BO may help up my supply and I woke up this morning thinking about coming on here to do more research, from what i have found online, there is no research on BO and breastfeeding, although I do know that BB says not to take it while breastfeeding or pregnant, but there are no reasons given as to why, it could just be a liability issue, kwim? So here I am thinking about taking BO once I deliver, obviously I would not take it while pregnant, and I am pretty sure you won't get a good answer from any mainstream dr. on taking this while nursing. But your success is encouraging! Thanks for sharing, wish I knew if it was safe or not, but honestly I doubt if it is too dangerous to take since there are many herbs that are safe to take while nursing to increase your supply.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon