Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Birth Control Interference!

I've had a birth control implant for a long time now but I'm sick of it and need something new! So, I'm switching to regular ol' birth control pills. However, I've read that certain herbs decrease the effectiveness of bc. I'm taking breast success and saw palmetto. If it does decrease effectiveness...surely, it wouldn't be by much. I doubt it's much to worry about but I was just wondering what others thought. Thanks :)

I've looked into it a bit and haven't found any clear answer on whether or not NBE interferes with birth control. Vendors say no. Others say maybe. In theory the weaker phytoestrogens could compete with the stronger estrogen for spots in estrogen receptors. That might decrease their impact. I'd think a billion people would be complaining if it was a common problem, but at the same time I haven't found any confirmation that people's birth control worked fine either.

Since progesterone decreases estrogen it might theoretically interfere too. Fennel, cinammon and saw palmetto are less likely to interfere sine they work on other hormones (prolactin, insulin and decreasing testosterone) but I still can't be certain. Cinammon might also have phytoestrogens, for example.

Thank you.

I thought I'd look into it a bit further at pubmed.gov. I found a couple that suggested saw palmetto not only reduced DHT testosterone but might also activate estrogen receptors. Nothing on fennel or cinnamon.

I read that milk thistle might interfere with bcp. Of course I have no proof but I don't want to take any changes. So I always take milk thistle in my 7 day bcp break.

If someone's birth control wasn't working there's a 93% chance (on average) she'd be pregnant within a year of activity. So, the next logical question is if anyone here has been on NBE and birth control for at least a year.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon