Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

QUESTION ON HAIR...

(14-04-2011, 09:58 AM)Ginie Wrote:  I also want to start taking Biotin but what confuses me is that the recommended daily dosage is 30mcg while swonssons and others have it in 5000 mcg!

RDA are always much much lower than what our body really needs. There are two reasons for this. One is that not enough research exists on "required" and "safe" dosages, so it's safer to recommend lower amounts (just in case). Two (and more important) - when government raises RDA for nutrients, they must meet those requirements for nutrition plans in armed forces, correctional facilities, health care organizations etc. This increase would result in so much higher costs that the government doesn't want to do it.

For all micronutrients I always use approach RDA x 20 at leastBig Grin

Biotin is water soluble, so it would be hard to overdo it.

So THAT's why.. I came across such mismatches before but didn't realise that if they tell us the truth they will have to do something about it! Smile

As for biotin I really want to try it but afraid of the breakouts (I read that it often leads to breakouts). That was why I was so hesitant about the dosage. I think I will start with less than 5000 mcg.

Also I'm thinking about giving Mega-Tek a try. In the forums they say it really makes hair grow super fast as well as making it stronger. People mention that in the beginning it can cause shedding but you should take garlic capsules and then you'll be fine.

[spam removed]

I forgot to ask about horsetail. I'm using NB, does it mean I shouldn't be taking horsetail because it is highly diuretic? Btw It is also a galactogogue.

"The horsetail constitutes one of the most diuretic species in all the plants." http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-horsetail.html

All of the ads for Pueraria Mirifica state that one of the benefits is longer stronger hair. Has anyone experienced any hair improvement with PM?

My hair has gotten stronger and fuller, but I wouldn't say it was PM on its own. I noticed an increase in thickness (a little bit though) with the use of Saw Palmetto. I am currently using Mane n Tail original shampoo and conditioner (have currently about three weeks of usage) following with this leave in (applied on towel dried hair). My hair feels softer and thicker by strands. Almost like each individual hair got thicker. When I use heating tools, I use this product as a heat protector sort of thing. For the first time ever, my hair is frizzless, soft, and shiny from root to tips. My hair used to smell like barbecue on the ends...haha I'M SERIOUS! It was fried, frizzy, tangly, dry, brittle...and smelled burnt on the ends. I am trying really hard to get a hint of that smell, but cannot smell anything! My husband has asked me two different times if I am wearing my hair extensions when I am not! At this rate, I might actually be able to reach my hair goal (waist lenght), I am slightly at back length right now Dodgy

Just wanted to do a small update, my hair seems to love Mane n Tail, but it is not satisfied with the amount of moisture it supplies, which is hardly any. I have added Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to my hair routine; I just started doing this. Starting April 11, I am applying EVCO to my length every morning and night. I did a deep conditioning with it alone, over the night. After washing my hair with my Mane n Tail set, in towel dried hair, I applied the coconut oil, left my hair naturally dry, and straightened it...WOW my hair was so beautiful! It was softer than ever and light, detangled, and shiny. Next over the night deep conditioning, which I hope to be tonight, I will be adding Jamaican Castor Oil to my coconut oil. I will let you all know how that goes Big Grin

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon