Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Isabelle, Wahaika, Ginie and Others, HELP!

Hey Isabelle,
I can understand that the lactation consultants probably wouldn't know about IGT (insufficient glandular tissue) without any resources, but aren't they suppose to know a lot of things about breasts/breastfeeding in general? Isn't it their job?
I know that it is impossible for them to detect every cause of unsuccessful breastfeeding but from what I have read about IGT, it is a common issue that nobody knows about. Ofcourse there are some LC who do know about it, but I think it is a very important issue that has to be learned more about it, even Lactation Consultants need to be more educated on the subject.

You have listed some great books!
I will look more into them!
I am pretty sure that someone has written a great deal about IGT, it's just we haven't come across it......yet!
I know that we are helping other women!
Thank You Isabelle!

Hey Melissa,

Start reading at p. 184 of this book:
http://books.google.nl/books?hl=nl&lr=&id=3LQ57_4VdkoC&oi=fnd&pg=PR11&dq=mother+food+for+breastfeeding+mothers&ots=WStJ38cLNG&sig=x11csEAuGiBSeSq-PZbbMvf_U2U#v=onepage&q&f=false

Goat's rue. Whodathunk!? GR was also the start of the development of metformin.

Isabelle,
Thank you so much for that.
Excellent information.
I think when I have the time, I am going to try to print the books, so I can always have them handy.
Big GrinBig Grin
Thank you Isabelle!Tongue

I bought "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk". It is such a WONDERFUL book, I highly recommend it!!!
It talks about IGT, PCOS, low milk supply, breastfeeding issues, pumping, herbs and much more!

I emailed the co-author of that book, Diana West about IGT, and what can be done about it, I love that I got a reply back, she is amazing. This was her response:

I don't recommend taking goat's rue or any other herb during pregnancy, but you may benefit from taking progesterone supplementation until week 37, which has been shown to increase lactation tissue. You may also benefit from using metformin both during pregnancy and lactation. I and my coauthor Lisa Marasco have written about these strategies in the Making More Milk book

I have to read the book again, because honestly, when I first got it, I couldn't put it down! I read it so fast and I really want to go back reading it and highlighting the very important things.

Whoaa,

I started reading some of it here:
http://books.google.nl/books?id=JuKTRL-xx9wC&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+Breastfeeding+Mother's+Guide+to+Making+More+Milk&hl=nl&ei=HRpoTrOgA8WYOo677dcL&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Good find, Melissa!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon