Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

When do I take progesterone cream?? Thanks.

I have edited my pevious post.

Look what I also found: http://www.nowfoods.com/Quality/Proposit...g-FAQs.htm

The warning is not only on the product which you purchased, but obviously an all bio-idential progesterone creams. And I believe they refer to chemical Progesterone and not to bio-identical.

Anyways, it would be good if you could call the company.

updated wrong section. admin wont let me delete post! Sad

Star 

Hi ELLA and Ladies,

Just wanted to point out some important facts for you:

The differences between synthetic and biologically identical hormones are in their chemical structures and functionality. Synthetic hormones are often produced from animals, are not identical to those made by the human body, and do not act in the body as human hormones do. Bio-identical hormones (derived from plants such as soy or yam), are both chemically and functionally identical to those produced by human reproductive organs and adrenal glands.

Biologically Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy addresses hormonal deficiencies and imbalances by assessing each patient’s individual hormonal status (based on medical history, symptoms, lab work, etc.) and subsequently implementing a protocol individually tailored to that individual. Therapy is then modified or titrated in accordance with clinical and laboratory results. BHRT is generally initiated after a hormone consultation with the patient.
Patient progress is typically reviewed and repeat testing submitted in 3-6 months. Yearly or semi-annual evaluation is expected following resolution of initial symptoms. Often therapy requires adjustments after periods of stress, significant weight loss or gain, or as endogenous hormone levels shift, etc.

Synthetic Hormones
Synthetic hormones are hormones which are not biologically identical to human hormones and thus are recognized by the body as “foreign.” For example, Premarin®, a drug commonly used in estrogen replacement therapy, is derived from pregnant mares’ urine. In fact, there are more than 50 horse estrogens in Premarin®. Because horse estrogen is foreign to the human body, women lack the enzymes and cofactors to metabolize it safely. Foreign estrogens, like those in Premarin®, are called xeno-estrogens. With potentially dangerous side effects, they are also found in insecticides and plastic bottles. Synthetic progesterone (progestins, like ProveraTM, which is medroxyprogesterone acetate or MPA) can have negative side effects including possible blood clots, an increased risk of heart disease, headaches, fluid retention, weight gain, mood swings, and breakthrough bleeding. In addition, other chemicals that may produce adverse side effects must be added to the synthetic hormones to facilitate absorption and utilization by the body. Once considered the “cure” for menopausal symptoms, many experts believe that synthetic hormones may do more harm than good. A portion of the widely publicized Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) Study on BHRT was stopped early when it concluded that risks including increased breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots exceed the benefits. According to the California Healthspan Institute, synthetic HRT “is not really true hormone replacement therapy since to be categorized as a ‘hormone’ the substance must naturally exist in the human body.” Plus, if every woman’s and man’s body is different, common sense would dictate that a standardized dose could not be the appropriate treatment for an individual woman or man.

Biologically Identical Hormones
Sometimes called natural hormones or human identical hormones, biologically identical hormones are derived from plants, such as the wild yam or soybean plant, and are chemically and functionally identical to human hormones. The wild yam is rich in precursor molecules that can be converted in the laboratory into estrogens and other hormones whose molecular structure is the same as those produced in the human body. Biologically identical hormones produce the same physiologic responses in the body as endogenous hormones (those made by the body).
Substances that are most similar to what our body produces naturally support human functioning without increased risk of allergic reactions and sensitivities. For example, studies have shown human-identical insulin to be more effective for diabetic patients. Moreover, an often over-looked aspect of biologically identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is that it may vastly improve the quality of life for women suffering from a wide range of physical, mental, and emotional symptoms. Although there have been a number of smaller studies on biologically identical hormones, there have been no large-scale efforts similar to the WHI research. In the late 1800s, laws were passed in the United States that allowed medicines to be patented only if they were not natural substances.

Because biologically identical hormones occur naturally in the female body, they cannot be patented and therefore large pharmaceutical companies have no financial incentive to fund research on these types of hormones. Even the WHI authors acknowledged that results might have been different if biologically identical hormones had been used: “The results do not necessarily apply... to estrogens and progestins administered through the transdermal route. It remains possible that transdermal estradiol with progesterone, which more closely mimics the normal physiology and metabolism of endogenous sex hormones, may provide a different risk-benefit profile.” Biologically identical hormones can be prepared by a compounding pharmacy in dosages and various administration forms to suit each individual patient.

(17-01-2014, 03:27 PM)Lotus~Aphrodité Wrote:  Hi ELLA and Ladies,

Just wanted to point out some important facts for you:

The differences between synthetic and biologically identical hormones are in their chemical structures and functionality. Synthetic hormones are often produced from animals, are not identical to those made by the human body, and do not act in the body as human hormones do. Bio-identical hormones (derived from plants such as soy or yam), are both chemically and functionally identical to those produced by human reproductive organs and adrenal glands.

Biologically Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy addresses hormonal deficiencies and imbalances by assessing each patient’s individual hormonal status (based on medical history, symptoms, lab work, etc.) and subsequently implementing a protocol individually tailored to that individual. Therapy is then modified or titrated in accordance with clinical and laboratory results. BHRT is generally initiated after a hormone consultation with the patient.
Patient progress is typically reviewed and repeat testing submitted in 3-6 months. Yearly or semi-annual evaluation is expected following resolution of initial symptoms. Often therapy requires adjustments after periods of stress, significant weight loss or gain, or as endogenous hormone levels shift, etc.

Synthetic Hormones
Synthetic hormones are hormones which are not biologically identical to human hormones and thus are recognized by the body as “foreign.” For example, Premarin®, a drug commonly used in estrogen replacement therapy, is derived from pregnant mares’ urine. In fact, there are more than 50 horse estrogens in Premarin®. Because horse estrogen is foreign to the human body, women lack the enzymes and cofactors to metabolize it safely. Foreign estrogens, like those in Premarin®, are called xeno-estrogens. With potentially dangerous side effects, they are also found in insecticides and plastic bottles. Synthetic progesterone (progestins, like ProveraTM, which is medroxyprogesterone acetate or MPA) can have negative side effects including possible blood clots, an increased risk of heart disease, headaches, fluid retention, weight gain, mood swings, and breakthrough bleeding. In addition, other chemicals that may produce adverse side effects must be added to the synthetic hormones to facilitate absorption and utilization by the body. Once considered the “cure” for menopausal symptoms, many experts believe that synthetic hormones may do more harm than good. A portion of the widely publicized Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) Study on BHRT was stopped early when it concluded that risks including increased breast cancer, heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots exceed the benefits. According to the California Healthspan Institute, synthetic HRT “is not really true hormone replacement therapy since to be categorized as a ‘hormone’ the substance must naturally exist in the human body.” Plus, if every woman’s and man’s body is different, common sense would dictate that a standardized dose could not be the appropriate treatment for an individual woman or man.

Biologically Identical Hormones
Sometimes called natural hormones or human identical hormones, biologically identical hormones are derived from plants, such as the wild yam or soybean plant, and are chemically and functionally identical to human hormones. The wild yam is rich in precursor molecules that can be converted in the laboratory into estrogens and other hormones whose molecular structure is the same as those produced in the human body. Biologically identical hormones produce the same physiologic responses in the body as endogenous hormones (those made by the body).
Substances that are most similar to what our body produces naturally support human functioning without increased risk of allergic reactions and sensitivities. For example, studies have shown human-identical insulin to be more effective for diabetic patients. Moreover, an often over-looked aspect of biologically identical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) is that it may vastly improve the quality of life for women suffering from a wide range of physical, mental, and emotional symptoms. Although there have been a number of smaller studies on biologically identical hormones, there have been no large-scale efforts similar to the WHI research. In the late 1800s, laws were passed in the United States that allowed medicines to be patented only if they were not natural substances.

Because biologically identical hormones occur naturally in the female body, they cannot be patented and therefore large pharmaceutical companies have no financial incentive to fund research on these types of hormones. Even the WHI authors acknowledged that results might have been different if biologically identical hormones had been used: “The results do not necessarily apply... to estrogens and progestins administered through the transdermal route. It remains possible that transdermal estradiol with progesterone, which more closely mimics the normal physiology and metabolism of endogenous sex hormones, may provide a different risk-benefit profile.” Biologically identical hormones can be prepared by a compounding pharmacy in dosages and various administration forms to suit each individual patient.

Thanks Lotus Smile
Yes for a brief moment I considered PC but saw better of it, no point in just "experimenting" when I don't know if I needed it or not. I just wanted to find something to safely try and balance out est/proges incase I had overdone it with the herbs! If I found the need then yes bio identical would be the way. What I did want to take is vitex, being an adaptogenic I thought it would be a safer bet.
That said part of me wants to pack it in and take NO herbs at all! Life was soo much simpler when I wasn't doing NBE :s

(18-01-2014, 06:24 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  That said part of me wants to pack it in and take NO herbs at all! Life was soo much simpler when I wasn't doing NBE :s

I completely understand! Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon