Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
(advertisement)

Fenugreek powder, maca powder, fennel powder?

(21-05-2024, 13:26)black eyed susan Wrote:  
(20-05-2024, 19:07)Lll Wrote:  I'm a bit confused about extracts and powders. "3 teaspoons a day of each" is about powder? And "1 teaspoon a day of each" is about extract?

Hello. No, that isn't it. It's nothing to do with extracts. Let me explain. There are two kinds of herbal powders, powdered herb and dried and powdered herb. I'm assuming that the powders you were thinking of buying were the first of these, powdered herb, i.e. seeds which are simply ground into powder. In this case it's the 3 teaspoons a day. If on the other hand you were getting dried and powdered herb, i.e. seeds which are both dried and ground, then this kind of powder would be more concentrated, so in this case it would be the 1 teaspoon a day.

Thank you very much for clarification! I'll order the powdered herbs then. The only thing that I'm worried about is stomach related issues. Surferjoe wrote that powders are very strong tasting and hard on the stomach. Maybe it's more individual thing. If I'm reacting ok to maca powder than maybe there's chance fenugreek and fennel will go the same.

Also how did everyone take those powders? With just water or maybe added to smoothies? I'm curious. Maca goes so well with milk that I absolutely don't have problems with it's strong taste.

(21-05-2024, 14:38)Lll Wrote:  The only thing that I'm worried about is stomach related issues.

I don't really get the stomach concerns. Some people take powdered herbs such as fenugreek and fennel for years without experiencing any issues. They are common herbs after all which have a range of uses and are very popular and are often taken as powders. I don't see anything to cause stomach concerns, but on the other hand individual responses may vary. We should always bear that in mind.

(21-05-2024, 15:17)VickyA Wrote:  
(21-05-2024, 14:38)Lll Wrote:  The only thing that I'm worried about is stomach related issues.

I don't really get the stomach concerns. Some people take powdered herbs such as fenugreek and fennel for years without experiencing any issues. They are common herbs after all which have a range of uses and are very popular and are often taken as powders. I don't see anything to cause stomach concerns, but on the other hand individual responses may vary. We should always bear that in mind.

Yes, at first I was judging only by the response Surferjoe gave me. Since I didn't have info and now I know that at least it's safe to try out. We'll see how it goes.

(21-05-2024, 14:49)To Lll Wrote:  Also how did everyone take those powders?

Sprinkled onto various foods. Add to yogurt or use as a pizza topping!

(21-05-2024, 23:40)black eyed susan Wrote:  
(21-05-2024, 14:49)To Lll Wrote:  Also how did everyone take those powders?

Sprinkled onto various foods. Add to yogurt or use as a pizza topping!
As a pizza topping? Wow, never heard about such a thing. I'm curious to try now. Thanks for the idea.

Fennel is used as a pizza topping anyway, usually mixed with onion. I actually think fennel toppings are great and I recommend them. I haven't come across fenugreek or maca being used in this way, but I take the view that anything you want to be a pizza topping can be a pizza topping.

(22-05-2024, 13:46)black eyed susan Wrote:  Fennel is used as a pizza topping anyway, usually mixed with onion. I actually think fennel toppings are great and I recommend them. I haven't come across fenugreek or maca being used in this way, but I take the view that anything you want to be a pizza topping can be a pizza topping.

Haven't heard about fennel topping as well. Maybe it's more american thing or because I usually cook pizza myself and don't know about new things they do with pizzas at restaurants. Next time when I'll cook pizza I'll try to make it with fennel topping.

It’s probably worth mentioning that fenugreek powder is a common ingredient in curries.

(22-05-2024, 19:20)Rozu Wrote:  It’s probably worth mentioning that fenugreek powder is a common ingredient in curries.

Oh, well, that I didn't try too but I definitely tried maca powder with milk and cocoa. It tastes like choco milk with nutty flavour in it.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
(advertisement)